Just to keep things real, I had never heard of Bentonite clay until about a year ago when I started on my quest for a more healthy, natural lifestyle. Before that, if you would have told me that people smear dirt all over their bodies, in their hair, on their teeth and even DRINK it, I may have told you that you were crazy. In fact, it has taken me an entire year of knowing about it and researching it before I have finally tried it myself!
So I’m going to start at the very beginning: What the heck is this stuff? Bentonite clay (also known as Montmorillonite clay) is a type of clay made from the ash of volcanoes. It has been used throughout history as a healing and cleansing agent. And the great news is that Bentonite clay is still readily available, in fact much of it is obtained from right here in the United States, and it requires no processing before use!
It doesn’t matter how clean we live and how chemical-free our homes are, we are still exposed to a ridiculous amount of toxins everyday. Bentonite clay has the ability to pull these toxins from our bodies while at the same time provide vital minerals and vitamins such as calcium, magnesium, silica, sodium, copper, iron, and potassium. Bentonite clay works by developing negatively charged electrons when combined with a liquid. These negative electrons act like magnets to the positively charged electrons most often found in toxins and heavy metals, binding to them and drawing them out of or eliminating them from the body.
A couple of things to note when buying Bentonite clay:
- First, as with any natural product, you need to know the company you are buying from and how the Bentonite clay is obtained. For example, if a company mines Bentonite clay with metal equipment, the metal can actually be pulled into the clay, causing it to be useless by the time you get it.
- Secondly, there are a couple of commercially available varieties of Bentonite clay – mainly sodium and calcium. In simple terms, the Bentonite clay works by trading either the sodium or the calcium content for the toxins in the body. Although sodium Bentonite clay is known to be a better at detoxifying, you will find it is often suggested for external use only. I guess nobody needs that much sodium!
So enough of the technical stuff! We all want to know what to do with it – so I’ve put together this fabulous list of every possible use for Bentonite clay! No, I haven’t tried them all, but I am slowly working through the list!
40 Recipes Using the Detoxifying Power of Bentonite Clay
- How to Detox Your Hair by Wellness Mama
- The Holy Grail of Natural Shampoos by Almost Exactly
- Homemade Dry Shampoo by Dear Crissy
- How to Do a Hair Detox to Enjoy Beautiful Locks Naturally by The Healthy Home Economist
- Homemade Clay Toothpaste by Keeper of the Home
- Whitening Toothpaste by A Return to Simplicity
- Homemade Toothpaste (that’s just like Earthpaste!) by Don’t Waste the Crumbs
- Kid-Friendly Squeezable Homemade Toothpaste by Veggie Converter
- Homemade Probiotic Toothpaste by Dr. Axe
- Bentonite Clay and Turmeric Mask by Healthy Body Now
- How to Make & Use a Bentonite Clay Face Mask by Blair Blogs
- DIY Charcoal Blackhead Mask by Inspire Beauty Tips
- DIY “Miracle” Night Cream by A Blossoming Life
- DIY All-Natural Eye-Emphasizing Mascara by Body Unburdened
- Homemade Foundation Powder by Live Simply
- Detox Face Mask by Coconut Mama
- Anti-Aging Clay Mask by Simple Life Mom
- DIY Glamglow Inspired Mask by My Newest Addiction
- Natural Homemade Mascara Recipe by Wellness Mama
- DIY Natural Powder Foundation by A Blossoming Life
- Detox Facial Mask For Rosacea & Other Skin Irritations by One Good Thing by Jillee
- Coffee Mud Mask by Savy Naturalista
- 4 Ingredient Skin Brightening Facial Mask by Yogi Mami
- DIY all-natural detoxifying deodorant by Body Unburdened
- Detoxing Homemade Clay Deodorant by Simple Life Mom
- Shaving Soap by Wellness Mama
- Detox Clay Foot Mask by Body UnburdenedSkin
- Homemade Calamine Lotion by Nourishing Joy
- Bentonite Clay for Babies Bum by Whey Beyond the Naked Truth
- How to Detox Your Armpits by Wellness Mama
- DIY Natural Deodorant by Naturally Mindful
- Easy Homemade Deodorant for Sensitive Skin by Homemade Mommy
Bath and Beauty
- Bentonite Clay Detox Bath by Homegrown and Healthy
- How to Detox with a Clay Bath by My Gutsy
- DIY Detox Foot Soak by Wellness Mama
- How to Make Soap by Nourishing Joy
- Fuller’s Earth Clay Tattoo Removal on eHow
- Drinking Dirt: Bentonite Clay Detox by Overthrow Martha
- The Ultimate Ingrown Hair Removal Mask by 5-Minute.net
- Remove Spider Veins and Varicose Veins Naturally with Clay by ClayFacts.com
Do you have a favorite recipe using Bentonite clay? Share it in the comments – I’d love to hear what has worked for you!